Sunday, November 25, 2012

The Importance of Nutrition

More and more kids are being diagnosed with ADHD and related symptoms.  This is also a common secondary diagnosis to trauma-related and genetically-influenced diagnoses.  I have always said that if someone suggested medication to treat hyperactivity, inattention, or impulsivity that I would try everything before medication for my child.  I work with many parents that feel the same way.  Counseling is an important step in this process.  Nutrition is another factor to consider.

How we eat is and important part of our culture.  It is our "comfort food."  It is Thanksgiving Dinner.

However, do you know how much sugar and caffeine your child ingests every day?

Sugar = Sugar
High Fructose Corn Syrup = Sugar
Carbs = Sugar (once in the body)

"Fake Sugar" contains many concerning chemicals (look up aspartame)

Dyes in Food are a common allergen that may be linked to ADHD and Autism

A few weeks ago, I sat across the visitor's table in a local school cafeteria from a mother and her two children.  She introduced herself and her two year old daughter before her third grade son came to sit with them.  She opened up her soft drink and poured half of it into her two year old daughter's sippy cup.  Later during the meal, I heard the 3rd grader ask his mother, "What are those red things?"  He was pointing to three tomatoes on top of his side salad.  He only chose to eat his pudding and chocolate milk.

I will be the first to admit that I am not a perfectly healthy person, but I certainly am very involved in what my two year old son consumes.  Since he started eating solid foods, I have had a little voice of guilt in my head.  Why feed your son healthy meals and not his mother?  Why would I expect him to eat fruits and vegetables daily and not hold myself to the same standard?  It is this constant, annoying need to "walk the walk."  We still make mistakes, but as a whole our family tries to align with the "Living Clean Diet."  It basically encourages eating real food, organic and local when available.  We cook mostly everything ourselves from ingredients that we can understand.  We try to be aware of how many products contain sugar so that we can avoid them (except for moments of weakness... Thanksgiving dessert!).

So what does all of this have to do with my blog?  That nagging feeling has been bugging me lately about the after-school snacks that we give to our group clients.  They are donated by a local business, and we are grateful for this generosity.  However, I would not feed my son the same snacks.

That is my line.

I try and provide services that I would expect others to provide for my child.

We have 20 school days until Christmas break.  During this time I will ensure that my group has a healthy snack that I would be proud to serve my family.  We have a budget of around $10/week so I will have to be creative (and may have to throw in a few bucks of my own) to make it work.  My hopeful self will be looking for improved attention span, attitude, and compliance among children during group therapy.

Some of the snacks will include: Apples, Bananas, Grapes, Celery with Real Peanut Butter, Dried Fruit, Brown Rice Cakes, Unsweetened Apple Sauce, Carrots, Green Bell Pepper Slices, Cucumber, Oranges, Peaches, Plums, Cantaloupe, and Edamame.

Worst case scenario... provide a few vitamins during the sugar-coated holiday season.  My other fear is that the kids will refuse the snacks and be upset with the change.

Whatever happens, it is sure to be interesting.  Here's to good health for all!

Genesis 1:30
And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground --- everything that has the breath of life in it --- I give every green plant for food.  And it was so.

No comments:

Post a Comment