Thursday, April 25, 2013

"Sam Feels Better Now!" Two Week Group Curriculum

"Sam Feels Better Now!" is a wonderful interactive story written by Jill Osborne.  It is perfect for a 10 day or 2 week group.  There are 8 interactive exercises in the book.  I worked with the kids on four exercises the first week, one for each day, and then reviewed on Friday.  We followed the same pattern the second week.

Activities include themes of identifying the feelings of fear internally and externally, disclosing trauma, and then rebuilding trust and safety.



Click Here to Purchase on Amazon!

On the last day, I handed out a reward certificate to each client.  They were all very excited as many of them do not regularly earn rewards at school despite them all being extremely intelligent and creative.


On a separate note, I have began incorporating a saying that I borrowed from one of the fabulous teachers I work with.  When reading she will say "You made a connection!"  She does this when they relate something in the book to a personal story, something similar they have learned, or even about the construction of a word or sentence.  I have started pointing out to clients when "You made a connection!" when they are able to apply insight or to relate the material to other areas of their lives.

A new thing that has started happening is that clients run (literally run ;) into group shouting

"Ms. Jessica!!! I made a connection today!"

They then share how they have implemented something we have been working on or that they have recognized it in others.

This small addition of a sentence has increased insight for many clients.  I am so thankful to teachers like Ms. Elmore whose compassion and creativity inspire me everyday :)

"Ascribe to the Lord, O families of nations, ascribe to the Lord glory and strength, ascribe to the Lord the glory due his name."  1 Chronicles, 16:28-29

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! I hadn't even thought of using it for group. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete